Forter provides a new generation of fraud prevention to meet the challenges of modern enterprise e-commerce. Only Forter provides fully automated, real-time Decision as a Service™ fraud prevention, with approve/decline decisions backed by a 100% chargeback guarantee. The system eliminates the need for rules, scores or manual reviews, making fraud prevention friction-free. The result is fraud prevention that is invisible to buyers and empowers merchants with increased approvals, smoother checkout and a near elimination of inaccurate decisions - meaning more sales and happier customers. Behind the scenes, Forter’s machine learning technology combines advanced cyber intelligence with behavioral and identity analysis to create a multi-layered fraud detection mechanism.
We have systems with scales anywhere between 100s of TX/s to 100,000s of events/s. In our decisioning APIs we care a great deal about reliability and latency. Every decision we make is important to everyone involved. We can’t go down because our customers’ businesses depend on us: in 2020 we processed eCommerce transactions worth over $200B, and made billions of critical decisions.
If this kind of working environment sounds exciting to you, if you understand that Engineering is about building the most effective and elegant solution within a given set of constraints - consider applying for this position. But hold on, you best check the position requirements first 🙂
The Events Infra team is focused on building and maintaining the libraries and services that power our event sourcing system. We’re working on the underlying infrastructure of our event processing services with Kafka as the backbone. We have a mix of commercial and home-grown solutions for our various needs; some problems have simply not been solved anywhere else!
What you’ll be doing:
- Design, build and maintain event infrastructure and services used by all of Forter’s engineering teams
- Build a great customer experience for engineers that will use your tools and services
- Help manage a multi-cloud, geo-distributed high throughput systems with a 99.999% availability SLA target
- Work with a variety of programming languages and platforms
- Tackle scalability, performance, usability, and reliability challenges in a variety of fields such as Security, BigData, Monitoring & Alerting and Cloud Infrastructure
- Take initiative - got a great idea that'll make our team's day-to-day better? Let's hear it!
- 5+ years developing complex software projects (Python / Java / NodeJS / etc.)
- 4+ years developing and maintaining distributed systems in production
- 2+ years working with IaC. A firm understanding of the subject (reasons, methods, pitfalls) is required
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production
- Be a good communicator and a good collaborator; be passionate about technology; like very challenging problems to solve
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Projects you could work on:
- Own (as in: develop, maintain, plan future of, educate on and advocate for) the self-serve framework that allows for the operation of all of Forter’s event pipelines in a SaaS manner. Design its developer-friendly API.
- Create a robust multi-region data replication system for a high volume of event while taking into account costs, resource utilization, security and DX.
- Facilitate the migration of many systems (thousands of servers) to cloud-agnostic technologies (like Kafka instead of SNS, etc.) with no downtime
- Improve the dev experience around existing event-infra tools, create new tools to improve client productivity
- Provide users with visibility and alerting capabilities over their production critical event processing pipelines
It’d be really cool if you also:
- Have experience with Kafka or other streaming engines
- Experience with considerable scale (100s of millions to billions of events/transactions per day)
- Experience leading cross-team efforts (champion an idea, get buy-in, reach widespread adoption)
- Have experience leading products with widely used public APIs
- Are a JVM guru
- Are a distributed systems guru
- Love communicating about technical subjects (comments, docs, announcements, presentations, you name it)
What it’s like to work at Forter:
We believe that head-count is a vanity metric (i.e. more doesn’t necessarily mean better), and that people matter! This is why we prefer smaller teams of talented individuals with strong cohesion over “just give us some more working hands”.
We believe that the metric we should optimize for is increasing the IQ and EQ of our team over time, by building an organization that will draw such people to us. We care immensely about how the team works together, and we don’t shy away from hard conversations. When you try to make an impact, friction (of opinions, or business constraints) is something you need to deal with.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC or a SOC team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our teams have a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should join to help us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company. If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.