Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
About the role:
Forter is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to own and lead strategic projects that will help us deal with scale, latency, DX and cost challenges. The role reports to the Director of the Real-time Decision group.
What you’ll be doing:
- Create a 2-3 years strategy for core systems to handle growing scale, new use-cases, latency demands and new product lines.
- Understand our cost profile including COS and formulate a long term plan for it
- Help design, build and maintain the core decision systems at Forter.
- Be challenged by low-latency and high-throughput distributed systems.
- Help and cultivate better software engineering practices with focus on dev-velocity
- Initiate and own complex projects, work with PMs to define features and scope, and guide through technical decisions and tradeoffs
- Act as a technical leader for product definitions: make architectural decisions, get buy-ins from internal clients across the organization, provide a formal way of documentation (i.e ADRs)
- Collaborate in an environment involving various stakeholders within the company by planning, brainstorming, and sharing feedback.
- Work with a variety of programming languages and platforms
- Mentor senior+ engineers to support their growth and development
- Set high standards for the group and enforce them
What you'll need:
- Expertise in at least 2 backend languages (Preferably Java & Python)
- Strong rooted software engineering skills and best practices
- Strong technical writing and reading skills, able to promote ideas using text
- Proven experience in designing and building large-scale production systems
- Experience (or good familiarity) with streaming technologies (such as Spark, Flink, Storm) and distributed systems
- Experience with various databases or data stores such as MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, Couchbase, MongoDB, Cassandra, DynamoDB, etc.
- Experience with AWS or other public clouds.
- Passionate about coding and mentoring others.
- Experience with docker or other container management platforms
- Experience with an observability / APM system such as Honeycomb, Datadog, etc.
Some examples for projects the groups will work on and support:
- Fight to bring down latency while improving precision and adding more logic to the system.
- Lead and create an observability solution for a distributed system with hundreds of components - how do we detect latency degradation, how do we segment it by merchants / geo / vertical / etc?
- How do we create automatic alerts / change of behavior due to latency changes or spikes?
- Lead Forter’s complex core decisioning topology while rethinking and challenging it to fit our ever-changing needs.
- How to create a better system that will fit the next line of products for Forter?
- Previous experience working with B2B products and customers
- Previous experience in the fintech industry
What it’s like to work at Forter:
In Forter, developers who have a founder’s mentality thrive. With many technical challenges alongside complex systems, developers get to lead and impact as much as they can and want. From leading cross-team, highly coordinated projects, to deeply technical and highly challenging, long-term projects.
We work together. It’s important for us to cultivate the team mindset and know that people care about our well-being and are there to help when needed. We try as best as we can to keep office politics outside.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC or SOC team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our team has a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should join to help us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company. If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV.
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 450 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Our success so far in the marketplace has allowed us to achieve a total series F valuation of over $3 Billion, making us the most valuable privately-held fraud prevention company globally. Our investors include: Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital, and Salesforce Ventures.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.