Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
About the role:
Forter is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Real-time Decision Infra engineering team. The role reports to the Director of Real-time Decision group.
Reliability, latency, and security, along with being present where our customers need us, are critical to our success. Every request we process is important to everyone involved. We can’t go down because our customers’ businesses depend on us: we processed eCommerce transactions worth over $200B in 2020, and made billions of critical decisions.
We utilize highly sensitive information our customers trust us with, to catch fraudsters and abusers and let consumers operate without any friction.
Our systems run on 1000s of machines, on multiple regions (and Clouds), at a massive scale to provide the best service to the Enterprise customers we serve.
One of your goals as leader of the Real-time Decision Infra team is to ensure our core decisioning systems reach the most accurate decision within given time constraints and resource limitations. You’ll be working closely with smart, talented and sharp software engineers, creating highly sophisticated, robust, fault tolerant and low latency distributed systems. It sounds like a lot, but these are the kind of systems the team works on.
You will also work alongside different analyst and data-science teams, in charge of enriching data-points, ensuring smooth operations, mitigating risk factors and making sure our customers are happy with the service Forter provides them.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading a team of 5 Software Engineers
- Solve problems for fellow engineers by understanding their needs and coming up with both short term workarounds and long term solutions
- Lead a core engineering team in charge of Forter’s primary decision systems
- Collaborating with peer analysts and data-science teams providing them with infrastructure and systems to improve performance.
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with the recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
What you'll need:
- Managed 4 or more engineers for 2+ years
- 7+ years developing complex software projects (Python / Go / Java / etc.)
- Good Java/Kotlin/JVM experience, preferably low-level optimization and profiling.
- Experience working with distributed systems with fault tolerance and high availability
- Deep level understanding of design considerations in complex topologies
- Excellent presentation skills - can talk and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Some examples for projects your team will work on and support:
- Improve Forter’s latency offering, whether by optimizing the topology, profiling various modules or completely revamping some of the systems designs
- Create a sophisticated ML model runtime platform, that supports various concurrent versions, easy deploys and canary releases
- Craft test infrastructure to automatically detect bad topology usage (using an attribute when it isn’t available), memory leaks or performance degradations to prevent bad code from reaching production
- Support the engineering effort to add a new cloud offering, by adopting new cloud agnostic services and libraries
- Continually improve the precision of Forter’s fraud decisions, preventing fraud and abuse attacks on merchants.
We’d especially love to hear from you if:
- Have experience working in low latency environments
- If you have open-source tooling to your name
What it’s like to work at Forter:
In Forter, developers who have a founder’s mentality thrive. With many technical challenges alongside complex systems, developers get to lead and impact as much as they can and want. From leading cross-team, highly coordinated projects, to deeply technical and highly challenging, long-term projects.
We work together. It’s important for us to cultivate the team mindset and know that people care about our well-being and are there to help when needed. We try as best as we can to keep office politics outside.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC or SOC team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our team has a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should join to help us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company. If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV.
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 450 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Our success so far in the marketplace has allowed us to achieve a total series F valuation of over $3 Billion, making us the most valuable privately-held fraud prevention company globally. Our investors include: Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital, and Salesforce Ventures.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.