Forter is looking for an Engineering Manager to build and lead the Data Infra team.
Forter provides new-generation fraud prevention to meet the challenges faced by modern enterprise e-commerce. Only Forter provides fully automated, real-time Decision as a Service fraud prevention, with approve/decline decisions backed by a 100% chargeback guarantee. The system eliminates the need for rules, scores, or manual reviews, making fraud prevention friction-free. The result is fraud prevention that is invisible to buyers and empowers merchants with increased approvals, smoother checkout, and the near elimination of false positives - meaning more sales and happier customers.
About the role
In order to reach and maintain our high decision accuracy, we rely heavily on our data, which is dispersed across many different types of data stores, amounts to many PBs in size, and owned by numerous engineering teams. As our company grows, the need for standardizing data operations across teams becomes essential.
The Data Infra team’s mission is to boost engineering operations and velocity by providing the technical expertise in this domain, and by building systems and tools which enhance teams’ abilities to use, maintain, and optimize data stores, orchestrate data workloads, and other data infrastructure common to multiple teams.
This team is critical to Forter’s mission - It directly drives Forter’s ability to scale its business, and lays critical groundwork to promote engineering velocity and teams’ autonomy.
Stuff you’ll be doing:
- Build and lead a team of 5 Software Engineers, to own Forter’s data infrastructure domain
- Initiate and lead complex development projects, working with product managers and other Engineering stakeholders to define features and scope, and to guide decisions and tradeoffs
- Create and introduce data infrastructure offerings and tools to support development experience and velocity, as well as optimization for performance and costs
- Collaborate with and build a great customer experience for engineers using your infrastructure
- Mentor and guide engineers on the team, supporting their growth
- Managed 5 or more engineers for 2+ years
- 5+ years of experience as a data or backend-oriented software engineer.
- Significant experience with relational DBs and NoSql DBs (e.g. MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Couchbase, etc.) at large scales
- Experience in working with public clouds (AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Strong Python, Java or Kotlin experience
- Passion for building infrastructure for fellow engineers and improving their development experience
- Excellent presentation skills - can talk and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Examples for projects your team would own:
- Provide a standardized KV store offering
- Build tools to support deployment, maintenance and optimization the various types of data stores in Forter
- Introduce data pipelines orchestration frameworks (e.g. Airflow)
- Support new datastore requirements and PoCs
What it’s like to work at Forter:
At Forter, developers who have founders’ mentality thrive. With many technical challenges alongside complex systems, developers get to lead and impact as much as they can and want. From leading cross-team, highly coordinated projects, to deeply technical and highly challenging, long-term projects.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC or SOC team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our team has a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should join to help us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company. If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.