- Published: September 13, 2021
Forter is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Cloud Infra engineering team. The role reports to the Director of Infrastructure & Security.
Forter provides a new generation of fraud prevention to meet the challenges of modern enterprise e-commerce. Only Forter provides fully automated, real-time Decision as a Service™ fraud prevention, with approve/decline decisions backed by a 100% chargeback guarantee. The system eliminates the need for rules, scores or manual reviews, making fraud prevention friction-free. The result is fraud prevention that is invisible to buyers and empowers merchants with increased approvals, smoother checkout and a near elimination of inaccurate decisions - meaning more sales and happier customers. Behind the scenes, Forter’s machine learning technology combines advanced cyber intelligence with behavioral and identity analysis to create a multi-layered fraud detection mechanism.
Reliability, latency, and security, along with being present where our customers need us are critical to our success. Every request we process is important to everyone involved. We can’t go down because our customers’ businesses depend on us: we processed eCommerce transactions worth over $200B in 2020, and provided billions of critical decisions via our API.
We utilize highly sensitive information our customers trust us with, to catch fraudsters and abusers and let consumers operate without any friction.
Our systems run on 1000s of machines, on multiple regions (and Clouds), at a massive scale to provide the best service to the Enterprise customers we serve.
One of your goals would be to enable engineering teams to do that with maximum efficiency and happiness, by providing them the tools, knowledge, and practices they need. We believe that dev experience really makes a difference here!
If this kind of working environment sounds exciting to you, if you understand that Engineering is about building the most effective and elegant solution within a given set of constraints - consider applying for this position. But hold on, you best check the position requirements below first 🙂
The Cloud Infra team is focused on building the foundations for the whole engineering group to rely on while developing Forter’s platform. We provide the other teams with tools and knowledge around cloud managed services, networking, monitoring and alerting, datastores and cost optimization.
At Forter, each team is responsible for their systems, and often even their infrastructure, like datastores, metrics, alerts while having their own on-call rotation. Our goal is to enable the other teams to do their job with maximum efficiency and happiness (dev experience matters!)
Stuff you’ll be doing:
- Leading a team of experienced Software Engineers who make developer experience one of their first priority
- Working on production critical systems, on which all developers rely for their day-to-day operations, with high availability and very large scale
- Contributing to the team’s efforts (minimal capacity to keep context and know how) and serve as part of the on-call rotation
- Working with other team to gather pains and requirements, and come up with both short term workarounds and long term solutions
- Using qualitative (e.g. surveys, f2f discussions) and quantitative (e.g. OKRs) metrics to determine priorities and measure effectiveness
- Building a great team by recruiting new talent and retaining excellent engineers
- Mentoring and guiding engineers on the team, to foster their career growth
- Managed 5 or more engineers for 3+ years
- 8+ years of experience in reliability engineering, software engineering, or systems engineering at a large-scale software company
- Strong understanding and practical experience in
- Working with public clouds (AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Service infrastructure environments (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Chef, Terraform, etc.)
- Multiple data stores and storage solutions (100s TB, 100Ks/sec throughput), including clustering, sharding and failure recovery of SQL, NoSQL, in memory caching, etc.
- Monitoring and alerting systems (e.g. ELK, Prometheus, PagerDuty, DataDog) working at large scales
- Excellent presentation skills - can talk and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Some examples for projects your team will work on and support:
- Provide a seamless, cloud-agnostic, service-mesh solution to assist devs controlling the ingress and egress of their services, regardless of the cloud or platform (VMs, K8s) they are running on.
- Upgrade our base images to the next Ubuntu LTS version with zero downtime and no breaches of compliance.
Measure and improve our cloud costs. Provide engineering teams with better visibility of their costs and work with them to implement cost optimization plans.
- Take our monitoring & alerts system to the next level, from picking and buying the right tools to exposing APIs on top of them, to allow other teams to leverage it for their purpose. For example, figuring out a scale-out strategy for Riemann or coming up with a better approach to handle our needs.
We’d especially love to hear from you if:
- You are passionate about building products and tools that developers love to use - we’ll want to hear everything about it!
- If you have contributed to open-source tooling
What it’s like to work at Forter:
We believe that head-count is a vanity metric (i.e. more doesn’t necessarily mean better) and that people matter! This is why we prefer smaller teams of talented and cohesive teams over “just give us some more working hands”.
We believe that the metric we should optimize for is increasing the IQ and EQ of our team over time, by building an organization that will draw such people to us. We care immensely about how the team works together, and we’re not shy from hard conversations. When you try to make an impact, friction (of opinions, or business constraints) is something you need to deal with.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC or SOC team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our team has a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should join to help us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company. If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV.