- Published: September 23, 2021
Data loss can be devastating. Whether it’s caused by human error, bad code, rogue integrations, or malicious intent, all companies are at risk. OwnBackup is the #1 data backup, archiving, and sandbox seeding app on the Salesforce AppExchange. With over 3,000 customers, we are ranked #25 on Financial Times’ list of America’s fastest growing companies, and have raised $267.5 million in funding from Salesforce Ventures and others.
We are looking for a Director of SW Engineering to lead and develop our leading Core Product.
Our ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced startup environment that allows them to take ownership over their work, add considerable value, and play a hand in driving the overall growth and success of OwnBackup. OwnBackup’s Engineering team is made up of exemplary engineers who believe in working collaboratively to solve complex technical problems and build creative solutions that are as simple as possible, but as powerful as necessary. We emphasise a culture of making good tradeoffs, working as a team, and leaving your ego at the door.
Your Day-to-Day Role
- Leading our Core engineering group
- Work in parallel to Directors of SW Engineering, be part of engineering management team
- Design, architect, and build performant, reliable, high-quality systems at scale within one or more engineering domains. Provide significant engineering contribution even in domains with less expertise
- Work cross-functionally with product managers, and cross-functional engineers to deliver high quality products
- Function as a sought-out mentor and leader for a technical domain or set of domains. Act as a role model for every engineer in your team and promote OwnBackup engineering values to the company
- Increase the technical capabilities and upper limits of your own areas of responsibility and expertise, as well as those of your associated team members. Teach sessions, write documentation, and actively mentor to decrease the ramp up time of new and existing team members
- Proactively identify technology opportunities for the company, and push technical ideas, proposals, and plans to the entire organisation and beyond through presentations, technical specs, and documentation
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience, preferably within a similar industry or technology space along with a minimum of 5 years leading an Engineering Group
- B.S./B.E in one of the following departments (i) Computer Science, (ii) Computer Engineering, (iii) Information Sciences, (iv) Electronics, (v) Mathematics, or relevant field/equivalent work experience
- Significant programming expertise. Experience with languages such as Python or Java; experience with Vue, React, Angular a plus
- Experience coaching, leading and hiring top performing teams, working with off shore teams a plus.
- Exceptional organizational and prioritization skills
- Goal driven - manage according to goals and objectives, use Data to support your decision making
- Proactive, energetic attitude and desire to work in a results-oriented and deadline-driven environment
- Desire and ability to manage multiple relationships at a time
- Motivated, tenacious, and resourceful
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Understand the value and challenges of working in a fast-paced environment
- Deep understanding and domain expertise in building large, complex distributed and/or data-driven systems from inception to launch.
- Extensive experience pushing multiple product releases and/or feature iterations, with an eye towards scalability, reliability, cost, and optimization
- Knowledgeable in Agile methodologies and scrum, understand the agile “being” and not only the “doing”
- Capable of owning engineering and company level issues or gaps, and successfully planning and executing towards resolution, all while continuously identifying and exploring additional opportunities and proactively preventing upcoming risks
- Experience excelling within a high-growth, startup environment or building out a new team/function within a larger company preferred
- Experience with technical team mentorship, including guiding other engineers to become more effective technical leaders and providing feedback on best practices in code and design
- Able to identify your team's dependencies on other areas and across functions, communicate effectively to remove any immediate blockers, and propose and implement process changes that strengthen and maintain efficiency
- Adept at effectively communicating with external customers about critical production issues, as well as working with internal stakeholders from OwnBackup’s customer success and support teams to propose and implement immediate fixes and resolution plans
This is a full time position. The ideal candidate will work out of our Tel Aviv office to maximize interaction with business.
Here at OwnBackup, culture is as important as results, and a key part of our culture is our differences. As we scale to help all types of companies protect precious data, our team must reflect the diversity we serve. OwnBackup is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we believe that every employee in the company brings a unique perspective that they can and should contribute in order to make an impact every day. We strive to be one team, one culture, and one family that builds trust through transparency. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status. OwnBackup will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
A Bit About Us
Have a look at our market opportunity and read through the AppExchange reviews to get to know OwnBackup a little better. Founded in 2015, OwnBackup is backed by top-tier venture capital firms and Salesforce Ventures. The company has experienced 100% y/y growth, establishing early market dominance in a big addressable market. To put it in perspective OwnBackup has 2k customers and nearly all of Salesforce 150k customers are a potential fit to use our products. Given the company’s vision to be the leading Cloud Data Protection Platform, there are also plans to expand into other SaaS ecosystems in the company year.